Monday, October 3, 2011

Golden Mall

Went to the Golden Mall after the book fair at PS1. I can't stay away from this place, it's too good. Except I have been ordering the same thing a lot, and I think that next time I go, I'm going to have to try something else. I've just been afraid of some of the non-English menus, especially since they assume that I can speak Chinese and it's embarrassing. I don't even know if it's in Mandarin or Cantonese or what region this food comes from. I have really neglected learning about the Chinese half of me. Oops

Scallion pancakes in the street! I watched this lady pull a hair off of one of them, yup. Then I'm pretty sure that's the one she gave me, but it got cooked so I'm not that grossed out, or at least I'm not going to think about it anymore. These are different that Korean scallion pancakes. They are a lot more doughy and chewy and they fold them up and you eat them like fair food.

The noodle guy pulling noodles

Roast duck pulled noodles
I have always ordered the oxtail noodles, but Mel and Matt ordered this and it made me wish I had too. I don't know if they use different broth or if the broth just picks the flavors of the duck, but it is good. The broth is still light, but it tasted a little heavier or something. Like...it felt like I was drinking duck and not a duck broth... I don't know if that makes sense but it's the only way I can think of describing it. They said that the duck had a lot of bones though. I didn't try any of the actual duck myself

My oxtail noodles
It wasn't as good as the last times I've had it, but still great anyway, especially since it was cold outside. I put in the smallest drop of the chilli oil or whatever, and totally underestimated how spicy it was. It burns.

No comments: