Saturday, February 23, 2013

Lomzynianka

You'd think that after growing up in the Pacific Northwest, I'd be really used to this gray misty-all-day kind of weather, but I'm not. I really don't like it, and I don't think I ever will. It's the kind of weather that makes you wanna eat all day and stay inside and watch T.V. til your eyes fall out. Actually, I didn't do any of those things, but I did finally go to Lomzynianka in Greenpoint. 

If I had to imagine a Polish grandmother's house (or really any grandma), this would be it. There are maybe 10 little tables kind of squished into the small, but cozy space that's totally decked out with these fake flowers, cheesey paintings, and twinkly lights. I almost expected some pleasantly plump old lady to come out and hug me, then wrap me up in a blanket. That didn't happen, but the food was so hearty and filling, it kind of felt like getting a hug. I haven't had that much Polish food, but I think this ranks at the top of my short list.

The menu isn't very big, but I still wanted a little bit of everything and was having a hard time deciding. The Polish Platter was the best way to get a little bit of everything (and it was only $10, so nuts). It came with three different pierogis, kielbasa, stuffed cabbage, bigos, and mashed potatoes with dill sprinkles. I didn't know what bigos was, but turns out it's a some sort of stew of cabbage (sauerkraut?), mushrooms, and some different kinds of meat. I think that might have been my favorite part of the platter. It was a little like the Polish version of kimchi jjigae, which is exactly the sort of thing you want to be eating on a cold, wet day. 

The stuffed cabbage was great too. It wasn't what I pictured stuffed cabbage as, and it was more like a starchy-meatloaf wrapped in cabbage, which is totally fine by me. I always like that combination of kind of tangy, sour vegetables and this heavy meatiness.

They also brought out this plate of different pickled winter-y vegetables. I wasn't entirely sure what to do with them. I tried to peek at the Polish man at the table next to us, but he was busy wolfing down a potato pancake. So I just ate these as a side dish to compliment the meatier, greasier parts of the meal. I think I had the right idea. I wished that I had ordered a potato pancake though.

I also ordered borscht with vegetables because I've always liked it even though I only recently started liking beets. I wanted to see if I would love it more now. Turns out the reason I might have liked borscht is because I'd been eating more tomato-y versions like this one. 

But there was still a little bit of beet sweetness in the soup, and I enjoyed it all the same. The bowl was enormous and only $3. Next time I might have it with dumplings. I like to pretend that this place doesn't charge that much for your food because the nice Polish grandma that runs it is more concerned about keeping you well-fed than making money. I mean, who knows, probably not, but it's nice thinking about it like that. It makes Lomzynianka that much more of a comforting, homey place to eat. I really didn't want to have to get up and leave.


No comments: