Wednesday, February 6, 2013

everything day 3

You know what's been really fun about my internship? I mean, a lot of things-- I'm secretly (maybe not secretly, but I don't think anybody there reads this) still super star-stuck. Like one time I met this girl at a party who used to intern at SE, and I freaked out because I recognized her name from a sandwich post she did. I think instead of flattering her I just weirded her out, but c'mon, if you spent most of your time reading food websites, you'd be excited to have a real face to put with a name. 

Oh, but yeah, so the best thing is all the food I get to try. That office kitchen is constantly full of food, so much of it. Not in the way that some office kitchens are stocked with pretzels and peanut butter. No, no, it's like a million steps above that. But it is the Serious Eats kitchen, so nobody is surprised except me, because sometimes it takes time for the really obvious things to sink in. 

Today for breakfast (and lunch) I sampled maybe 20 different chocolates for an upcoming post. I wasn't that excited about it since I had already been trying a bunch of chocolates, and I don't really have much of a sweet tooth. But then I opened the box, and they were so beautiful. I couldn't wait to try them. I've never wanted to really gush about chocolate before, but they were delicious and I'm still so excited by them. Just as the chocolate was about to wear off, another intern came back with 3 amazing sandwiches and chips from Maysville. It was the perfect savory snack I needed to follow up my sugar rush. I wish I could be more descriptive, but I think should let the upcoming posts say all the things that I want to. There was also an assortment of vegan baked goods and some not-so-great pizza, none of which I tried, but I just wanted to give you an idea of the aforementioned full-of-food kitchen. I hope you wish you were me.

Anyway, that's why this dinner is so boring. No, actually, it was totally enjoyable and filling, but I always have a hard time accepting the idea that a meal doesn't need bread or cheese. This stupid idea somehow only applies when I cook for myself. 

Update: I am eating tater tots. I just can't get enough, these are my biggest weakness at the moment. It's so nice to have tots back in my life.

No comments: