Tuesday, December 6, 2011

korean bbq

My favorite thing to eat ever is Korean barbeque, and my parents always take me to my favorite place when I come home...usually the day before I'm supposed to leave.

Meat plate, guh! We ordered pork belly, another kind of meat which I know the name of in Korean but not English (it was sweet and marinated in some sort of soy sauce mixture), and squid. I am really not into the squid on the grill, but it was part of the "combo."

 This restaurant is great because it gives you so so many side dishes, I can't even eat all of them. 
The meat comes with an onion chunk, some oyster mushrooms, and a squash (haven't had this before, but I guess it's winter) which get tossed on the grill too. Plus a red bean paste mixture, jalapenos, and garlic, which you are supposed to eat with the meat, but we usually put the garlic on the grill instead of eating it raw because no amount of gum and mouth wash will get rid of that taste by the next morning.

Also comes with this soup/stew made from a soybean paste, vegetables, tofu, and some beef chunks

Also comes with this salad of lettuce and green onions in some sort of spicy soy sauce dressing. The beef also comes (not here though) with a plate of fresh lettuce and sesame leaves, and you're supposed to wrap up meat and rice in it. It helps balance out the fattiness of the meat.

I'm not really sure what to call this, but it's eggs and that's it, really. I love it when my mom makes this but I always fail when I try to. Basically its beaten eggs with equal parts water (this one also has scallions and maybe a little bit of fermented shrimp in there) and then its steamed...I think? My mom's kind comes out very silky and smooth, a little like jello, but this kind is more porous I guess. I like both kinds. 

I only took a picture of one side dish because this one is my favorite. It's acorn jelly in soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and scallions. There is a white version of this and I'm not sure what it's made out of. I used to prefer that when I was younger, but now I really like the nuttiness of the acorn kind.

1 comment:

vivian the koneko kitten said...

my mom makes that egg-y thing too. she tried teaching me once, but it didn't work out.