Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Brunch at Enid's


Fried jalapeno grits, scrambled eggs, a biscuit, and a little salad from Enid's in Greenpoint. Plus some mimosas that showed up before the food and got me a little bit drunk before 3 pm, but it's ok because brunch is what makes drinking at early times acceptable.

The food was good but nothing spectacular or mind-blowing, but it was great because it was with a friend I hadn't seen in a long time. And it's nice in there, I liked it. But I misunderstood "fried jalapeno grits" and thought that meant creamy grits with fried jalapenos on top...which actually sounds better to me, but this was fine too.

I was just talking to David and Kate (hey guys!) about the big deal about brunch, and they don't really get it. There is this weird brunch culture here, and in Providence and Seattle too, I think. I don't know what it is...but I really like brunch! I mean, I guess brunch is the kitschy version of breakfast on the weekends, and I feel like brunch is always at places with names like "Rabbit Hole Cafe" or something like that. So maybe it's more of an ~ambiance~ thing than it is about the food, but it's nice! I mean, the week is so busy and breakfast usually means a bagel, or toast, or nothing, and when the weekend comes, it's so comforting to wake up at a leisurely hour, meet your friends, and still get bacon and pancakes but also get a hamburger if you really want. It's like a free for all, you can eat whatever you want at whatever time you want. But brunch at home is nice too, do you want to come over?

No comments: