Monday, July 1, 2013

some old food pictures and some new ones

I am having one of those freak out moments where you suddenly feel like it's totally time to re-evaluate everything in your life but you don't know what to do about anything. Maybe it's a pre-quarter-life crisis? Or I just freak out when I discover that there are a lot of holes in my life plans. Just fill the holes with food...

Knife shaved "dial oil" noodles at Uncle Zhou's, a Henan Chinese restaurant in Elmhurts, Queens. 
I guess Henan cuisine involves a lot green onion, garlic, chile and Sichuan peppercorn, and these noodles embodied that. They were vinegary and very garlicky, which is basically what I look for in all my favorite foods.

A knife shaved noodle
The noodles get sliced from a lump of dough (not pulled) and once they're boiled, they're super springy and chewy--a nice texture.

Lamb dumplings

 
The dumplings were really delicious and juicy, but it was overwhelmingly lamb-y. I could only eat a few of them before feeling a little squicky, but I think I just wasn't hungry enough. I'd order them again and probably eat the whole thing.

A terrible photo of sauteed celery, tofu, and chicken? Honestly I can't remember. I really enjoyed this dish but it wasn't particularly memorable. I think we meant to order sauteed celery and lily bulbs..

 
Fried fish in a sweet and sour sauce...

 ...topped with a huge nest of baked noodles.
The thin crispy noodles contrasts nicely with the soft fish and the bottom layer of noodles soaks up the sauce pretty wonderfully. Hard to pick out the bones though.

Steak nachos at Brooklyn Public House. 
I love nachos.

Crabcake Eggs Benedict, also at Brooklyn Public
The dry cakes didn't benefit much from the sauce, but the egg yolks saved them--I wouldn't order it again. 

Pork Belly Fritatta with a Sriracha Creme at Brooklyn Sandwich Society

Everything there is so cute. I don't know how to translate into text the tone with which I'm saying "cute." Kind of like when you go to the Anthropologie store and you hate the aesthetic, but at the same time, you can't help but admit that it's kind of pretty and nice and maybe maybe you kind of want to dress like that. But it still makes you want to roll your eyes and/or gag. Except BSS doesn't make me feel that way because they have great food and nice people. But don't get their cold brew coffee. It's $4.50 for a tiny cup of half ice and half coffee, and despite serving their food in mini-skillets and farm-chic blue-and-white bowls, BSS is not cute enough to justify that price. Also, I drink coffee now! Sort of.

Melissa's eggs and grits

 Another picture of my fritatta

No comments: