Thursday, December 20, 2012

Paseo

I have seen heaven and it is made out of roasted pork. I kind of want to just leave it at that, but no I won't. Yesterday Colin and I finally went to Paseo in Freemont, the Caribbean sandwich place everyone's been talking about forever. It was sooo lucky that we went yesterday because today is the last day they're open before they take a 7 week break. I would have been so devastated if I missed this before going back to New York. If I needed 5 good reasons to move back to Washington (yeah, Washington, not just Seattle), this would be #1. Well, maybe not but somewhere close to #1. Like #3.

Paseo Press : Succulent morsels of roasted pork nestled atop sweet banana peppers, draped with sheer slices of smoked ham, Swiss cheese, and caramelized onions; all melted together between a hot press
Stole that description right off of the website. 

There was also cilantro in there, which I wasn't expecting but was really happy about. It was amazing. Man, I don't even know how to describe it. It was just a sweet sticky sandwich mess all over my face and hands. You can't be afraid to eat this sandwich. The ham and pork were a little sweet made even sweeter by the onions, and held together with the right amount of melty saltiness from the cheese. Then your tastebuds get a little kick from the banana peppers and cilantro, it was perfect. Oh god, and the pork, it melts in your mouth. This is a zero-effort meat, you almost don't even have to chew.

Colin got the Caribbean Roast, which is their most popular sandwich. I didn't get to taste it but he seemed to enjoy it a lot. It's "pork shoulder coated in Paseo Marinade & slow roasted 'til falling into succulent morsels."

If I had ANYTHING to complain about (in a really quiet whisper) it would be that I wish they had wrapped the sandwiches better. Like burrito style so that everything stays contained in the sandwich and you can tear down the paper as you go. Those things are huge and so messy, and that's definitely part of the fun because it gives you a good reason to eat with reckless abandon and get sandwich all over your face. But my best sandwich bites where when I got a little bit of every ingredient, and that was sometimes hard to do with it all slipping and sliding around. But even without all the ingredients contained in one bite, it was still one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. I only wish that I had been hungry enough to eat the whole thing.

No comments: