Saturday, October 6, 2012

catching up


I've been not so great at keeping up with this. I mean, I haven't really gone grocery shopping in like two weeks, so I have been eating the dregs of my fridge and other miscellaneous unexciting foods, and nobody wants to see that. But there have been good meals thrown into the mix, so check it:


So last weekend Bill had a little printshop BBQ at his house in Ossining. We went apple picking before hand (really cute, right?) and those apples have kept me alive and healthy for the past week. I also had some of the best apple cider donuts I've ever had at the orchard. They had this really nice cinnamon-y crunch crust enveloping the cake-y part.

 Bill made all of this blurry food. I guess it looked less blurry on my phone. But anyhow, you get the idea, BBQ basics (whiskey included). Don't be fooled by the barbeque sauce in the bottle. Bill made some of his own too (um I'm pretty sure he made it and in any case, if he didn't it was good bottled bbq sauce then).  I've never made my own BBQ sauce so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but this had a good tang to the sweetness as well. I don't like sauces if they are to sugar-y tasting. Plus, you need that little tangy kick to complement the pork. See, really, everybody I work with is a great cook. I hope that wherever I end up next, I get to work with people who are this good at it. Printmakers and cooking, it's just a thing, I think.

Pulled pork!!!!!

And here's the plate again. So clockwise: pulled pork and bbq sauce, sweet potato and black bean salad, regular potato salad, baked beans, and coleslaw

Our Sarah and Bill's Sarah both made desserts, but unfortunately, the pictures of Bill's Sarah's red velvet cake was dark and not so great. But I promise it tasted delicious because Sarah is like me and doesn't like too much frosting overwhelming the cake. Our Sarah made a GRAPEFRUIT cake. Yeah, I know, me too! It was so so good and citrus-y sweet.

Ok and on another note, Melissa had me over for dinner and made this tomatillo chicken from a Bon Appetit recipe (where she works!). I guess I didn't realize how much I like tomatillos, but these tacos reminded me of that. They add a nice tang. Yeah, I'm all about the tanginess, I guess.

No comments: