Wednesday, June 3, 2009

the day a tornado hit our kitchen

When school ended and the Met was closed, this is what happened in our kitchen courtesy of Jeremy and Chris, and a little bit of me

Just fried dumpling skins (SO GOOD)

Scallion pancakes
This one was probably made after the fire alarm went off in our kitchen and it took forever for it to finally go off. I think it was worth it.

Pork, garlic, mushrooms, scallions, cilantro

mmmmm

Everything else thrown together in a pan

I wish I had taken a picture of the kitchen after everything was cooked because it looked like a pile of trash. But good trash. Maybe Dylan has one.

Also, Neal is going to send me pictures of all the great things he eats in Hawaii to be featured RIGHT HERE. How exciting.

I've been eating so well since I got home and I haven't taken any pictures, which is too bad but I'll probably eat all of it again. Except this great pulled pork sandwich that I had in Bellingham. The sweet potato fries were so good too. My only experience with them before this last time was at the Met, and they were never really that good, but these were so perfectly crunchy and soft and sweet and salty. It's also nice to have a real kitchen again. I also REALLY NEED A JOB. I found a listing on craigslist for a job making crepes at some farmers market in Queen Anne. Maybe.

How is your summer? What are you eating? How are your allergies?

4 comments:

Dana d phd said...

HELP!!!! My parents have nothing in the house but cans of tuna and old peanut butter. Sometimes I just don't bother eating lunch because it is so bad in the kitchen. I am not a very good cook either. What basic things do you recommend for me to purchase at the grocery store to sustain me for the summer?

Lily said...

Dear Dana d phd,

This is what happened to me when my parents moved into a different house and all there was to eat were saltine crackers. But you shouldn't let yourself starve. Here are some things that you should buy, none of which are really good for your health if you use them to make grilled cheese and french fries every day, but you can just walk it off or ignore it like I do. It's kind of like having the Met grill options but in your own kitchen. That may or may not be a good thing.

Eggs, cheese, bread, potatoes, your choice of sandwich meat, lots of plain yogurt and fruit, maybe some mushrooms. That is all I have in my fridge and I have been doing ok for myself. Also, you should use this website: http://www.supercook.com/ and it will try to find ways for you to do something with that tuna and peanut butter (which by the way, is good on crackers).

Gianna said...

Hey Lily
Guess what I ate today. Well, my friend cooked Drunken Chicken, and it was awesome. I don't know if you know what that is, it's some Chinese way of making chicken, but if you've never tried it you definitely should.

Dana d phd said...

that was very helpful advice. Thanks for being so thorough! I hope you have a foodalicious summer!